Fiji’s Commissioner of Police has approved the permit application for Methodist Church meetings including the annual Conference in August and the Standing Committee meetings scheduled for June and July.
Church general secretary Reverend Tuikilakila Waqairatu said they were happy the permit was received early, giving them time to prepare for the conference.
In granting the approval for the conference, Commissioner Brigadier General Ioane Naivalurua said that the Methodist Church must exclude activities that will financially burden its members at the three-day meet such as the bazaar and choir competition and laid down 8 more conditions to be observed for the conference
- meeting should not coincide with the Hibiscus Festival which will be held from August 17-25
- meeting is for three days only
- meeting to be conducted on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday respectively
- meeting to be held from 8am to 8pm
- meeting to be confined to the Centenary Church premises
- church matters only to be discussed
- no political issues be discussed
- no request of extension of time frame be made during the meeting proper