The father of the Pope’s personal assistant, who is in custody after stolen Vatican documents were found in his home, has said he hopes his son’s “sacrifice” will help the Church rid itself of corruption.
Andrea Gabriele described his son Paolo as a person of “absolute honesty . . . great generosity and moral integrity” in a letter he sent to the Italian television station Tgcom 24.
Paolo Gabriele is the only Vatileaks suspect so far arrested in connection with the scandal that has seen confidential letters and documents addressed to Pope Benedict leaked to the Italian media.
The 46-year-old father of three is being detained in a security cell in Vatican City on charges of aggravated theft.
“As a father and a Christian, I hope the whole truth comes out to the beneficial advantage of the Church,” the arrested man’s father wrote.
“I hope above all that this tremendous sacrifice carries spiritual fruit” not only for those in a position of responsibility within the church, but for furthering the repeated desire of the Pope for the “necessary cleaning of the Church”, he said.
Catholic News Service said the letter came after a Vatican prosecutor decided to keep the Vatileaks suspect detained beyond the usual 50 days provided by Vatican law.
The Vatican spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, told reporters on July 12 that Gabriele would probably stay in custody for another 10 days to allow the Vatican court to gather more evidence.
The investigating judge, Piero Antonio Bonnet, is expected to wrap up the formal questioning process, which began June 5, and reach a conclusion by the end of July, the Vatican spokesman said.
The judge can decide whether to dismiss the case or have Gabriele stand in a Vatican trial that would be open to the public.
Image: Arezza World News
News category: World News.