Diocese of Lae in Papua New Guinea Celebrates 50 Years

The Catholic Diocese of Lae in Morobe, Papua New Guinea celebrated its golden anniversary earlier this month. The historical celebration took place at St. Mary’s Primary School grounds.

Various cultural representations were witnessed by thousands of faithful from the diocese, well-wishers from the region as well as visitors from outside PNG.

The Apostolic Nuncio of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands, Archbishop Kurian Matthew Vayalunkal was the main celebrant and several PNG Bishops and priests concelebrated the Holy Eucharist.

The Nuncio solemnly blessed the diocese and its people and paid special gratitude to missionaries of the past and present for the fruit of their labour visible in Morobe Province.

Bishop Christian Blouin of the Diocese of Lae’s also gave thanks to the pioneers of the diocese saying, “four pioneers  must be acknowledged at this occasion.

Fr. Anthony Mulderink, one of the four pioneers who was  there present to witness the occasion was thanked along with his pioneer-brothers of Mariannhill for their work.

He also thanked the people of PNG for their good will; friends of the diocese overseas, for being helpful to the diocese and all people who have contributed in making the Diocese of Lae become what it is to this day.

The existence of the Catholic Church in Morobe Province goes back to the time of the gold rush in Wau and Bulolo in 1927.

However, the existence of the Diocese of Lae began with the mandate of Pope John XXIII on 18 June 1959 when the newly erected Vicariate of Lae was entrusted to the Congregation of the Missionaries of Mariannhill (CMM).

The number of diocesan inhabitants was about 187,000. Of these, approximately 1,750 were Catholics.

Source

 

News category: Asia Pacific.

Tags: , ,