World

Pell’s last chance – special leave to appeal lodged Comments 0

Thursday, September 19th, 2019

George Pell’s legal team has applied to Australia’s High Court for special leave to appeal the jailed cardinal’s child sex abuse conviction. Although special leave cases are not usually granted by the High Court, it’s possible Pell’s could be accepted. This is because judges at his appeal could not agree about Pell’s guilt or innocence. Read more

Evangelistion: Ecology, economy, politics Comments 0

Thursday, September 19th, 2019

Ecology, economy and politics have everything to do with evangelisation. They are not an alternative to it, Pope Francis says. The topics will be discussed at next month’s Synod of Bishops on the Amazon. Francis’s mainly conservative, traditional Catholic critics say these topics distract from evangelisation. “What do ecology, economy, and politics have to do Read more

Attacks against pope aim to influence next conclave Comments 0

Thursday, September 19th, 2019

Attacks against Pope Francis are “a fight between those who want the church dreamed of by the Second Vatican Council and those who do not want this,” says the Superior General of the Jesuits. Commenting on various issues where the Pope is currently under attack from his critics, Arturo Sosa SJ says there is no Read more

Child safety audit pass for Ballarat Catholic diocese Comments 0

Thursday, September 19th, 2019

Catholic Professional Standards Limited’s first child safety audit has given the Ballarat Catholic diocese a tick of approval. The auditors found the diocese met 73 per cent of new safeguarding recommendations and is working on the remaining 27 per cent. The audit focused on the diocese’s approaches to child safety and structures for complaint response Read more

Clericalism’s day coming to an end Comments 0

Thursday, September 19th, 2019

Clericalism is coming to an end, says Marie Collins, who is a clergy sexual abuse survivor from Ireland. However, Vatican officials needed “a safeguarding policy” in place ages ago to prevent abuse and address it when it occurs. Collins says a policy of this sort was promised at the Vatican summit on child protection in Read more

Retired Catholic priest found not guilty of sexual assault Comments 0

Thursday, September 19th, 2019

A Wisconsin jury on Friday acquitted a retired Catholic priest on charges alleging that he had sexually assaulted an altar boy over several years, starting in 2006. The Jefferson County jury found William Nolan, 66, not guilty of five counts of sexual assault following a weeklong trial. The 26-year-old accuser, who lives in California, alleged Read more

More than 2,000 aborted remains discovered at doctor’s home Comments 0

Thursday, September 19th, 2019

An investigation has been launched by police after more than 2,000 remains of aborted children were found at the former home of late-term abortionist Dr. Ulrich “George” Klopfer in Will County, Illinois. Klopfer passed away on September 3. Nine days later, an attorney representing his family contacted the Will County coroner’s office, reporting that “medically Read more

Calls for Catholic schools to be abolished to tackle Glasgow sectarianism Comments 0

Thursday, September 19th, 2019

A former top cop has claimed Catholic schools should be abolished to help tackle sectarianism on the streets of Glasgow. Tom Wood a former Deputy Chief Constable, has questioned whether religious segregation in schools remains acceptable, and urged authorities to address root causes of the divide. Last week the council decided to ban six Loyalist Read more

Marriage won’t solve the priest shortage Comments 0

Monday, September 16th, 2019

The Roman Catholic church should reconsider if it thinks the priest shortage can be solved by letting priests marry. It hasn’t solved the problem in the Ukranian Greek Catholic Rite which allows priests to be married, says Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk. Shevchuk is the Major Archbishop of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. He was responding to Read more

Swiss diocese semi-ok with same sex marriage Comments 0

Monday, September 16th, 2019

Switzerland’s largest Roman Catholic diocese says it will welcome the arrival of civil marriage equality if the Swiss National Council passes legislation allowing it. The Council is tipped to consider the issue within the next few months. Given that the civil law changes, the Diocese of Basel says it will bless same-sex unions, as long Read more