Congregation burns down its own church

A Church in Asheboro  North Carolina went up in flames last Friday. The fire was a controlled burn set by firefighters.

in 2008 Providence Baptist Church was given the property by the remnants of Gospel Chapel Baptist Church.

But Pastor Eric Johnson believes toxic mould in the church has caused him to suffer permanent nerve damage and memory loss.

One of the conditions attached to the gift was was that the new church could never sell the property but could give it away. So they burned it down.

“It’s taken us five years to get to this decision,” Johnson said. “We had spent over $50,000 on the building and lost all that.

To get back to where we were (with a healthy building) and to pay my medical bills would cost up to three-quarters of a million dollars.” Continue reading

Additional reading

News category: Odd Spot.

Tags: ,